My feline helper has been taking it easy this week. The temperatures are unseasonably warm and she’s occupied herself with lots of naps and sunbathing. Cooperating in a photo shoot was just too much for her. We’ll just have to manage without her this time.This is the second practice quilt. The first few passes had tension issues but after resolving that, it went smoothly. The tension issues arose from a change in thread brands. Not uncommon in any machine and equally frustrating no matter when or where it occurs. For this quilt, I switched to Aurifil 50 wt. thread. There was more lint with this thread but that’s something I find to be true on my Bernina as well. Frequent delinting is required. But I did like the look of it, once the tension was fixed.I continued to practice a meandering all-over design. Although when I got to the center medallion, I stitched loose outlines of the flowers, just for fun. A large personality print would make a great practice piece for this type of stitching.You can see from this quilt how a simple pattern can make a stunning quilt. It’s all in the fabrics you choose. These prints are all medium scale prints which makes it easy to mix and match. And those pops of orange are what make it sing.
I started with a 12″ square and added 5″ borders and corner squares. After six borders, the quilt measures 66″ square–a good size for snuggling under on the couch or adding just enough warmth on the end of the bed. It’s a great way to whip up a quick quilt when you don’t want a lot of fussing over piecing.The story from practice piece #3 is not so positive. I’ll tell you about that one later. In the meantime, Stinka and I are wishing you a Happy Friday and a relaxing weekend!